Thursday, September 23, 2010

Who is the Modern Gadfly?

When Socrates was living he constantly asked questions and challenged the Greece politics. He was very persistent and didn’t care that he was annoying the authority, even though it eventually led to his death. He was being a social gadfly. I looked up the specific definition of gadfly and I found that it is a term used to describe someone who upsets the status quo by posing upsetting or novel questions, or just being an irritant. With that definition the person today that I think most resembles those characteristics are Stephen Colbert and he is the modern day Socrates gadfly.

I think he is because he questions a lot of the current news topics. He also talks a lot about politics and politicians on all of his shows. He challenges and talks about their ideas in a funny way. Even though it is a comedy show and it is meant to be funny, he really does make people think about current situations in a different light. I also think that being funny about the news topics is a way to get a lot of people to watch it and really listen.

In the definition it also says someone that is being an irritant and I think Stephen Colbert fits that description perfectly. I think his comments on the issues irritate politicians and I bet they wish that he didn’t have a show. I am sure that politicians just want people to believe only what they are saying and not having people question it. I think what he does is good, though, and you should always see things from a different point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment